Occasionally, I have ideas which I provide on an open-ideation basis. That’s similar to the idea of open-source software. Unless otherwise noted, I have not checked to see whether the ideas are novel.
I’d like to see the leaders of the world’s major religions agree to work to remove violent hate speech from their texts. The religions could also update their texts to replace anachronistic practices and views that are no longer valid due to modern science and technology.
August 15, 2019
Changes I would like to see in the Unites States system of governance.
- Require competency qualifications for offices.
- Eliminate the electoral system. Use popular vote.
- Award senatorships based on population in addition to state.
- Move oversight of organizations currently overseen by cabinet members to oversight by congress.
- Redesign the legislative system to avoid gridlock. Gridlock is not competitive.
- Eliminate gerrymandering. Define geometric standards as well as representation standards by tier 1 class (race, gender, etc.).
- Begin a rewrite of our constitution with popular vote on each item required to pass a threshold such as 2/3 or 3/4 or whatever we think makes sense. We can vote on that too.
- Develop a national survey/referendum app for desktop/tablet/mobile.
June 27, 2019
I wish one click pay per read articles were widespread. Priced with and without ads. Need low cost enabling platform. I have a willingness to pay more than my current subscriptions if I can pay per article with no strings attached. Make a low friction paygate in the paywall.
— John Mark Morris 🖌 (@JohnMarkMorris) January 30, 2018
I wish for a much better Twitter browser or app that shows a thread diagram of tweets much more effectively than either the Twitter website or TweetDeck. I am vaguely imagining something with a hierarchical or mind map like display. It should have various ways to flag new tweets and unread tweets. The ability to mark a branch unread would be useful as well for reviewing. Ideally it could have a time oriented view that was highly visual. I don’t fully understand the challenges given the Twitter logical model, so this may be easier said than done.
January 29, 2018
This is inspired by self-interest but good for a great many. I would like to see brush clearing robots that could cut large swaths through brush on various SoCal landscape types, including steep hills. Swarm mini-robots would be awesome. Imagine grasshopper or caterpillar like robots that could chip away at brush. Options as to leaving fuel in situ, burning it, or transporting it off site would need to be studied. I wonder if UC San Diego and UC Davis would make for a good partnership on this idea?
January 24, 2018
I pine for the day when large numbers of social media users earn a badge for knowing Logic and Argument 101. And also that I could filter on users having that badge.
January 21, 2018
J Mark Morris : San Diego : California : 2018 – 2022